Here are some more details about this year’s reunion:
- • The address of the Holiday Inn where we will be staying is 115 Cypress Centre Blvd., Vicksburg, MS, 39180. A staff member told me that the exit to take off I-20 is 1C, “Hall’s Ferry” exit.
• In case you haven’t booked a room yet and don’t have the motel’s phone number at hand, it’s (601)-630-4240. Ask for rooms reserved for the Sultana Association.
• All events will be at the motel. The Friday evening talks will start at 7 p.m. and most likely the Saturday evening dinner will be at 7 also.
• The bus tour will start and end at the motel. I want to start loading at 7:30 Saturday morning so we can depart at 8 a.m. Hope to return about 4 p.m.
• The rooms for our meeting will be open early afternoon on Friday, April 25th, about 1 p.m. This is an opportunity for members to set up displays to showcase their artifacts, collections, photos, etc. related to their ancestor aboard the Sultana or to the Sultana story itself. I plan to have available for purchase the University of Tennessee Press’ 2005 reprint of Chester Berry’s book, Loss of the Sultana and Reminiscences of Survivors (1892). At a 40% discount, the price will be about $30!
• Lunch will be served at the picnic area at the Cairo Museum site inside the Vicksburg Battlefield National Military Park. Box lunch and drinks will be brought to us by a local catering service.
• For those considering flying in, the nearest airport is at Jackson, MS, (the state capital) only about 30 miles east of Vicksburg,
• It’s always a nice surprise to receive an email from folks who are either attending the reunion for the first time or I haven’t seen in several years. At present, I can think of about 8 such people who have contacted me during the last few days!
If you haven’t already, there’s still time to invite relatives and friends to the reunion. You might be surprised who will say yes if you ask!
Hope you are getting excited about gathering in Vicksburg in about a month!!